Welcome!


Welcome! I am glad you are here. Join me with a cup of your favorite beverage and see what is going on in my life and what is on my mind. I would love to have you join my site and you can do that on the left side where it says 'followers'. And please leave a comment! Thanks for visiting.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What's Cooking?

 
In My Kitchen
 
 
Grands biscuits. Yes, I took the easy route and made them from a can. But I love them! I did get them from the clearance basket for $1.50, which is almost 1/2 price. I bought most of those in the basket - Grands biscuits, Pillsbury Cinnabon rolls and Pillsbury Caramel rolls. I had recently read on another blog that they can be frozen right in the can so thought I would take advantage of the sale and give it a try. I call that a God-incidence to have read that just before finding the good sale.


 
Then I tried a new recipe that I first saw on Facebook. The actual recipe is at this blog:
  http://hangingonbyaneedleandthread.blogspot.com/2011/06/rhubarb-dump-cake.html
(for those who quilt, this is a good site for that too)
 
The recipe is as follows:
 
RHUBARB DUMP CAKE
 
1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/4" pieces (between 3 and 4 cups)
1 cup white sugar
1 (3 ounce pkg) strawberry jell-o
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 cup water
1/4 cup butter, melted
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread the rhubarb evenly in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle the sugar over the rhubarb, followed by the dry jell-o, and finally the dry cake mix. Pour the water and melted butter over the top. Do not stir. Bake for 45 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender.
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
But I didn't follow the recipe exactly. A friend brought me some rhubarb, but it was pencil thin and most were not much longer than a pencil, so it only gave me a little less that 2 cups. I had a 6 oz. box of fresh blueberries in the fridge so added those. I bought them thinking I would make blueberry muffins but that didn't happen, so I knew they should be used. That still wasn't 4 cups. I had a bag of mixed berries in the freezer - blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries - so added those to make 4 cups. And when I went to the pantry to get some jello, all I had was one box of peach. With the blueberries and blackberries, it really didn't matter what color the jello was! I used a scant cup of sugar since the berries are naturally sweeter than rhubarb.
 
A dish of warm dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. . . . . heaven! With a dump cake, any fruit can be used and it will be good. I still want to make one with all rhubarb, but I need to tell my friend to let it get much bigger and longer before she takes some.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.