Welcome!


Welcome! I am glad you are here. Join me with a cup of your favorite beverage and see what is going on in my life and what is on my mind. I would love to have you join my site and you can do that on the left side where it says 'followers'. And please leave a comment! Thanks for visiting.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What's Cooking - Pork Carnitas

PORK CARNITAS

Awhile back Pam, an internet friend, had mentioned she made pork carnitas for one of their mission trip meals, and then shared the recipe. Thank you, Pam!  I happened to have a pork roast in the freezer so decided to try it. I thought it was good. I ate it as the main meat of the meal with sides of mashed potatoes and a vegetable. She served it with a delicious cole slaw. I also made sandwiches with the meat on hamburger buns and added some barbecue sauce. That is very good. But what I thought was the best was what my daughter and I threw together with some I had left in the freezer. She and the twins came one weekend and we had gone to the parade downtown. When we got home it was lunch time so had to come up with something simple and quick. I rarely think ahead. Bad me! 

My daughter has a wheat allergy so eating out poses a problem, especially with the few places to eat in this town. We either have pizza, broasted chicken (coated with flour), Subway, or the bowling alley which is mostly fast food.

I happened to have some corn tortillas on hand, which does not have wheat in them. She fried those to slightly crisp and we made tacos with the pork carnitas. Those were the best tacos I have ever had! We just added the lettuce, shredded cheese and salsa on the tortilla. The 8 year old twins thought they were great too, and they can be finicky eaters.

Here is the recipe for pork carnitas, which can be found at My Recipes website here

Ingredients


  • Preparation
    3-lb. boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch chunks, trimmed of excess fat
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • large onion, quartered 
  • cloves garlic
  1. Sprinkle pork with salt, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Place in a slow cooker along with onion and garlic. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender and falling apart, about 6 hours. Shred pork and serve hot.
Note:
This recipe also appeared in the February 2010 issue.

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.