Welcome!


Welcome! I am glad you are here. Join me with a cup of your favorite beverage and see what is going on in my life and what is on my mind. I would love to have you join my site and you can do that on the left side where it says 'followers'. And please leave a comment! Thanks for visiting.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Hearty Potato Soup

I tried this new recipe today. I clipped it from the latest Penzey's catalog. I only made half the recipe since I am alone, and not sure that it would freeze well. I just finished a bowl of this, and am about ready to have a second. It is very good! And a treat on a cold evening.


HEARTY POTATO SOUP

  • 4 medium potatoes (about 2 lbs.), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 4 ribs celery (including leaves), chopped
  • 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 Cups water
  • 1-2 tsp. WHOLE CELERY SEED
  • 1/4 tsp. CAYENNE PEPPER
  • 1/2-1 tsp. salt, to taste
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp. PENZEYS FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER, to taste
  • 6 Cups milk, divided (the Marconnets use whole milk)
  • 2 TB. cornstarch
  • 11/2 Cups corn kernels
  • 5 pieces bacon, cooked crisp and broken into pieces




    

In a medium soup pot (uncovered) over medium-high heat, cook the potatoes, celery, carrots and onions in water until tender and the water has mostly cooked off, about 15-20 minutes. Stir frequently. Add CELERY SEED, CAYENNE, salt and PEPPER and stir well. Add 53/4 cups milk and stir well, reserving 1/4 cup in a small bowl. To the reserved milk, add the cornstarch and mix until all lumps are gone; slowly pour into the soup while stirring. Heat the soup until near boiling, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes until the soup starts to thicken, then reduce heat to medium-low. Add the corn and bacon. Let cook 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite crackers.

Prep. time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Serves: 10-12

1 comment:

  1. My family love potato soup! We will just come and eat with you!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.