Welcome!


Welcome! I am glad you are here. Join me with a cup of your favorite beverage and see what is going on in my life and what is on my mind. I would love to have you join my site and you can do that on the left side where it says 'followers'. And please leave a comment! Thanks for visiting.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Instant Chai Tea Mix




We have finally gotten out of the frigid freezer! At least it has stayed above zero yesterday and today, even though it is still cold at a high of 18 degrees, no sun, but also no wind. No wind is such a treat here in the Midwest, especially after a day of sustained winds of 25 mph. I did wake up to an inch of new snow however.

One inch of snow here is nothing! I know it stops everything in the South, but we are well prepared for much more than this. In fact, I heard several plows and/or sanding trucks from Iowa went to the southern states to help with the ice and snow from latest storm. We are always willing to help those in need.

Now to the Chai Tea mix. Even thought it has warmed up, it is still not WARM! So a hot drink is always welcome. I gave you the recipe for instant vanilla cafe coffee mix, but sometimes I want a change, and I love chai tea. I used to be able to buy a large canister of some really good chai tea mix in Sam's but they didn't have it the last couple times I was there, and my daughter can't find it in Sam's in Omaha either. This recipe is very good and much more economical than what you can buy.

INSTANT CHAI TEA MIX

1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 cup non-dairy creamer powder
1 cup vanilla flavored non-dairy creamer powder
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar (use your favorite sugar-free substitute if watching                sugar intake)
2 cups unsweetened instant tea
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cardamom

NOTE: You can adjust spices to taste; this is a ballpark amount. Can also add a shake of black pepper, since this is often an authentic ingredient.

In a large bowl, mix together all powders except spices. Blend spices in a small bowl, then sprinkle into large bowl and mix well. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup at a time until mixture is the consistency of fine powder. (NOTE: Be careful with this, because it won't pulverize if you try to do too much at once, and if you open at the wrong time, or spill it, the sticky powder goes everywhere.)

Store in airtight container. To serve, stir 2 heaping spoonfuls into a cup of hot water, or more to taste.

As I said with the instant coffee mix, I am lazy so usually don't pulverize, but be warned the the spices might not be as fine in your drink.


There is a huge spider in my tea!!

No, I think that is a star anise. I am not sure I would want to find this in my cup if someone were to hand it to me, but I found it in some other pictures too, so maybe it is a common garnish?

1 comment:

  1. Hot tea is so good in cold weather. My boys love hot tea year round. I don't think I would like the "spider" in my tea! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.