Welcome!


Welcome! I am glad you are here. Join me with a cup of your favorite beverage and see what is going on in my life and what is on my mind. I would love to have you join my site and you can do that on the left side where it says 'followers'. And please leave a comment! Thanks for visiting.

Monday, April 28, 2014

BEEP. . . . . . BEEP. . . . . BEEP

(I am writing this post to be published later. )

Last night, or I should say early this morning I was awake because I was not sleeping well all night. It was about 5:30 this morning and all of a sudden I hear a man's voice say, " Please replace the battery." At first I thought it was the radio scanner as I have that on all the time, but this sounded different and closer. Then I started hearing the loud beep. . . . . . . .beep. . . . . . beep.

Yes, the batteries in my smoke and carbon monoxide alarm need to be replaced. Funny, I was just thinking about that the other day. I thought maybe it was time to replace them.

Well, that loud beep was very annoying. But the alarm is at the ceiling. So I went out to the pantry and pulled out the step stool. It is difficult for me to climb any steps so a step stool is next to impossible. But I really needed to shut the beep up! I would have been okay if I could reach it from the first step, but that wasn't going to work. So, using the door and door frame, I managed to pull myself up to the second step. But in the process I tweaked something in my forearm. So now if I turn it just wrong it hurts. It is my left arm and I am left handed. Not good. But I will live.

Then I had to figure out how to get the battery compartment open. Let me tell you, that was NOT easy! Meanwhile the blasted thing is still beeping at me! And it is 6 am and I am usually asleep at this hour. I finally had to get a screw driver and pry the thing open. I was afraid I would break the whole thing before I got those batteries out. But things are back to being beepless again. However, I will wait until someone is here who can put it back up for me. There is no way I will be able to get back up that step with an arm that is hurting.

I also have to check and see if I have 2 AA batteries in the house. And now that I know how to check to see if a battery is charged, you can be sure I will check them before putting them that crazy thing.

Have you seen the video on facebook or youtube on how to check batteries? The following link is not the same one I saw on facebook, but this one is testing the first guy's theory and demonstration. He showed that it basically does work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRf9JTg3QwA

I just tried it with the old battery and it did bounce quite a bit. I don't have another battery handy to test right now, but I have a feeling it will tell me whether it is still good or not. Interesting. Haven't you always wondered if the batteries that have been laying in your junk drawer are still good? Who knows how long they have been in there.

People always tell us to change the batteries in your alarms at least once a year. Pick a time - Jan 1, daylight savings time change, etc. But it has been my experience that the batteries last much longer that a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.