Welcome!


Welcome! I am glad you are here. Join me with a cup of your favorite beverage and see what is going on in my life and what is on my mind. I would love to have you join my site and you can do that on the left side where it says 'followers'. And please leave a comment! Thanks for visiting.

Monday, January 12, 2015

GINGERBREAD CAKE MIX


Finally, here is the recipe for the gingerbread cake mix that I put in the Christmas gift bags.

The recipe says it yields 5 batches (10 cups total), but I got three quart jars filled, which should make 2 cakes each. I used wide mouth jars which makes it easier to fill.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

GINGERBREAD CAKE MIX

Mix:
6  2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup + 1 TBS. nonfat dry milk powder
1/4 cup baking powder
1 TBS salt
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 - 1 1/4 tsp ground cloves (use lesser amounts if your cloves are really strong)
1 1/4 tsp. powdered ginger
1 1/2 cups shortening

Cake:
1 egg
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup molasses

In a large bowl, combine the dry Mix ingredients; mix well. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 5 batches (10 cups total).

To prepare the cake: Preheat oven to 350 F. In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg, water and molasses. Add 2 cups of the cake mix; beat until well blended. Spread into a greased 8-inch square baking pan. Bake at 350 F. for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Prep. time: 10 minutes for the mix; 10 minutes for the cake.
Baking time: 35-40 minutes
Serves: 9 per cake.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If you are giving this as a gift, make sure you put a tag on with the directions for making the cake. If using a quart jar like I did, be sure to put on the label that it makes 2 8-inch cakes, or someone might dump the whole jar in with only 1 egg, etc and end up with a flop. (I might be the one that does that without thinking!)

I found the label designs on Pinterest. There are several online sites that have free printables. I printed them on 2"x4" mailing labels. And the final touch, the red grosgrain ribbon tied around the lid. If you think far enough ahead, there are many cute ways to decorate the jars for whichever holiday or event the gift is given. Go to Pinterest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.