Welcome!


Welcome! I am glad you are here. Join me with a cup of your favorite beverage and see what is going on in my life and what is on my mind. I would love to have you join my site and you can do that on the left side where it says 'followers'. And please leave a comment! Thanks for visiting.

Friday, March 24, 2017

$$$$$

Not fun being a widow.
My dollars are flying out the window so much faster so far this year. So money seems to be on my mind all the time. Now would be a great time to have a husband who also gets a Social Security check every month.

So far I have spend a lot more on drugs (Rx, not street drugs!) than I did for all of last year, and basically have the same drugs. My medicare part D has a much higher deductible for the year, and not only that, but not all my meds count toward the deductible! The deductible is $400, up from $260. I have already paid close to $500 and still have about $260 left to pay on deductible. Several of my meds have been changed to a higher tier, which means my share is many times higher than what I paid before. And the list goes on and on.

I have the added expenses of moving, plus higher rent so I have watched the dollars disappear and my checking account reserves have all but been depleted so have no cushion to depend on. After paying some large bills in January, I went on a 'no buy' for 6 weeks, and did a pantry and freezer challenge. That all went well, and I had plenty of good food to eat. I used my bread machine at least twice a week for delicious bread. But then I ran out of essentials so that I couldn't even bake anything. Then it was time to restock. Well, that was expensive! I ended up spending over $300 just to get the essentials and a little restocking of canned foods, and yet there were still holes in things I needed.

Since I haven't lived here for a year, my electric bill is not on the budget plan yet. I have electric heat, with heat pump, at this house, and have nothing on gas, so had no idea what my heating would cost. It not is so high considering the bill includes water heater and all lights and everyday usage for appliances, etc. And I do have a dishwasher that I did not have before, and I use it at least twice a week. The highest bill in the coldest months ran around $115. But, the problem - I was used to paying $70 a month for gas/elec at the other house. So add the extra $ to the expensive med bills and higher rent, a small increase -twice- in my cable/internet/phone bill, I have nothing extra. There is one good thing and that is I do not have to pay for water, sewer and garbage here, and that had been $70 a month.

I don't mean to be a downer with this message, but it is a big concern for me at the moment. That is why it would be really nice to have a man to share the expenses. Is there anyone who has a  single
older gentleman relative out there who might be interested? I am serious - sort of. ;)

I must keep reminding myself that God has taken care of me for almost 75 years and I know He won't stop now. I need to keep the faith because God is faithful.

10 comments:

  1. Dear Linda, I popped in from another blog and just read your post. I'm sure there is so much anxiety related to your situation. Does your doctor provide samples of some of your medications? Maybe he could help with some of those meds. If you didn't live so far away, I would send my daddy to you.... a recent widower too. :-)) God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our doctors no longer provide samples. I did ask my doctor about that recently and she said the samples often were a problem because they would often be out of a med someone ran out of, and they would always be brand name drugs so a prescription would have to filled,etc. I forget exactly what she said but the clinic decided it was better to not hand them out.

      I saw a picture of an older man on your blog and assume it is your dad? He is handsome, and it IS too bad you live so far away. If he would like to make a trip to Iowa some day, send him over.LOL

      Delete
  2. Have you tried contacting the drug manufactures? They might be able to help you some. I agree with Little Penpen, talk to your doctor about your meds.......
    Sorry I don't know of any single men, but if I hear of someone, I'll keep you in mind......LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the suggestions to contact the manufacturers. I have not done that yet, and not sure it will help with medicare insurance since the manufacturers offer a discount price with medicare, and then the insurance pays a percentage of the discounted price. Why do they make things so difficult and confusing? Government and insurance companies!

      Delete
  3. I just discovered your blog tonight. Many prescription drug companies offer patient discount programs where you can really save a lot of money on your prescriptions. I'm not sure if they have programs for people on Medicare, but the savings possibility makes it very worthwhile to go online and check to see if the manufacturers of the medications you take have any discount programs. I take two very expensive medications that I don't know how I would be able to afford to take them if not for the manufacturer's patient care savings programs. One med that I take would cost me over $350 a month, and that is after our insurance has covered their part of it. With the patient discount from the manufacturer and the portion that our insurance pays, it costs me nothing. I pray that the manufacturer continues this wonderful savings program, or I will be up that infamous "bad" creek.

    I hope the financial stresses will ease up on you.

    Susie D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, it is wonderful that you have such a good savings program with the manufacturer. Makes me think maybe I should check it out instead of thinking I know it won't matter.

      Now that I have meet the steep deductible for this year, things are going a little better, but not as cheap as last year, and thinking about what is happening with health care for next year, I am feeling a little nervous. I do know that God will take care of me just like He has all my life.

      Delete
  4. Oh Lorita, you made me both smile and frown with this post. I think getting a husband at this stage would be more risky than not. Unless of course, you get a MUCH younger man, lol. Then you might find you have to raise him, lol.

    I shall keep you in prayer, dear. I know it's frustrating to be in a much better situation physically only to have it slide downhill financially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I am open to a 65 year old man, and definitely don't want one older than I am! I have already taken care of an older man and not looking forward to doing that again, yet know there are no guarantees at any age.

      Delete
  5. I would like someone to grow old with, and to share expenses would not hurt either. I don't know if I have the energy to train a man...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I do know what you mean about training a man! LOL

      There was definitely a learning curve with my late husband, who was 24 years older than me. I had to learn how I needed to 'handle' him in order to stay sane and still in love. We did make it work.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.