Welcome!


Welcome! I am glad you are here. Join me with a cup of your favorite beverage and see what is going on in my life and what is on my mind. I would love to have you join my site and you can do that on the left side where it says 'followers'. And please leave a comment! Thanks for visiting.

Monday, September 25, 2017

WHAT'S A MURGATROYD?

I received this in an email recently so I can't take credit for it, and I have no idea who the author is. I found it interesting and so very true. Language keeps evolving. I don't care much for some of the phrases  the younger people say, like cray-cray, bae, and as I discussed in another post - yahyahyah. I know there are more but my mind is blank at the moment. Enjoy.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                         
                            Would you believe my spell checker did not recognize the word “murgatroyd?”
                           
                            Lost Words from our childhood:  Words gone as fast as the buggy whip!  Sad; really!
                           
                            The other day a not so elderly (70ish) lady said something to her son about driving a jalopy and he looked at her quizzically and said "What the heck is a jalopy?”   Oh, oh a new phrase!  He had never heard of the word jalopy!!
                            She knew she was old but not that old.
                           
                            Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle.
                           
                            About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology.  These phrases included  "Don't touch that dial, Carbon copy, You sound like a broken record" and "Hung out to dry."
                           
                            Back in the olden days we had a lot of moxie.  We'd put on our best bib and tucker to straighten up and fly right.  Heavens to Betsy!  Gee whillikers!  Jumping Jehoshaphat!

                            Holy moley! We were in like Flynn (before Michael Thomas “Mike” Flynn of course!) and living the life of Riley, and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill.  Not for all the tea in China!
                           
                            Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell?  Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys, the D.A. and of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes and pedal pushers.  Oh, my aching back.  Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.
                           
                            We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, well I'll be a monkey's uncle, or this is a fine kettle of fish, we discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed common as rain, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues, our pens and now our keyboards.
                            Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind.  We blink, and they're gone.  Where have all those phrases gone?
                           
                            Long gone:  Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper.  Well, Fiddlesticks!  Going like sixty.  I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden nickels.
                            It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills. This can be disturbing stuff!  If only we could dial an Operator for assistance?
                           
                            We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeable times.  For a child, each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age.  We at the other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist, and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective memory.  It's one of the greatest advantages of aging.
                           
                            Unless you live in Oregon or Massachusetts, you probably don’t know what a gas station attendant does.  Don’t bother looking for the janitor in a school or a stewardess on an airplane either, they’ve been replaced by maintenance engineers and flight attendants.  Stewardesses used to serve meals and drinks on flights, after the ‘No Smoking’ light was turned off.  Oh my gosh, people smoked cigarettes on airplanes???
                           
                            Secretaries have been replaced by administrative assistants, nurses have become health care providers and mechanics have become automotive technicians.  Most people under 30 years of age today would be just as confused by the sight of a clutch in a car, as they would be by seeing a typewriter on a desk, not to mention listening to a record player.
                            It’s a changing world for sure.  See ya later, alligator!  After while crocodile!
                           
                            Yep, In a short time we will be no more!!

2 comments:

  1. Cute post; I did not know what a murgatroyd was! lol My daughter, who is now 30, used and continues to use Hunky Dory on the regular. She has always love that word, even as a little kid. ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I still use so many of those phrases--and they are not even from my generation. My colloquialisms drive my children batty. Probably why I enjoy using them... ;^)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.