Welcome!


Welcome! I am glad you are here. Join me with a cup of your favorite beverage and see what is going on in my life and what is on my mind. I would love to have you join my site and you can do that on the left side where it says 'followers'. And please leave a comment! Thanks for visiting.

Monday, December 9, 2013

Favorite Candy Bar Recipe


This was recently posted on Facebook by a friend because she wanted to be able to find it back. This recipe is quite similar to one that I have made for many years. My family has always loved Twin Bing candy bars. You can't buy them everywhere, as my kids have found out. They are made by Palmer Candy Co. in Sioux City, Iowa. My kids like to load up on them when they get back to this area, but I have found out they can be ordered by the boxful online now. You do have to be aware that they do not ship them in the summer for obvious reasons!

But if you don't want to go to that expense, we would often make these bars at home, especially during the holidays. The recipe connected to the picture above is found at this link:
http://www.food.com/recipe/cherry-mash-bars-190639

They compare them to the Cherry Mash candy bar, which is a little bit like the Twin Bing - but we think the Twin Bings are much better. I have not used this recipe myself but the one I have used for years is quite similar.

Here is my recipe:

CHERRY CHOCOLATE CANDY

2 cups sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
dash of salt
12 marshmallows (regular size)
1/2 cup margarine
1 package (6 ounces) cherry chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 package (12 ounces) chocolate chips
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 package (large) crushed salted peanuts

Combine sugar, milk, salt, marshmallows and margarine in saucepan over medium heat. Boil five minutes. Remove from heat. Add cherry chips and vanilla. Pour into 9x13 inch buttered pan. Melt chocolate chips in double boiler (today I use microwave). Add peanut butter and crushed peanuts. Spread over cherry mixture and chill.

This is candy and rich, so you will want to cut in small pieces, similar to how you would cut fudge.

I know it is sometimes hard to find the cherry chips. They can also be found online although one place is already out of stock.  As the contributor of the recipe on Food.com states, she found them at her super Walmart, next to the chocolate chips. In other stores I have found them with the holiday baking supplies display. Some stores only order them for the holidays. If you can't find them this season, keep them in mind for next year, or find a relative or friend that lives in the Midwest who will send you some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.