Welcome!


Welcome! I am glad you are here. Join me with a cup of your favorite beverage and see what is going on in my life and what is on my mind. I would love to have you join my site and you can do that on the left side where it says 'followers'. And please leave a comment! Thanks for visiting.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

GLUTEN FREE APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL BARS

This is another new recipe I tried that was a big hit during the birthday party weekend. I made these so my daughter with a wheat allergy could eat these while the rest of us had the Grands cinnamon rolls. Delicious! These are very handy to have in the freezer for a quick breakfast anytime, or for a snack, but I made double and there were none left to freeze.

I found this recipe on the blog 'Iowa Girl Eats' here . She also has other versions of this oatmeal bar on her blog.

This calls for oat flour or put some of the oatmeal in a blender or food processor and that is what I did and that worked out very well, so there is no need to buy the expensive oat flour, providing you can find it in the store. I did not. I also used quick oats rather than old fashioned and that worked well too. Again, no pictures due to the busy weekend so you can check those out on the Iowa Girl Eats blog.

Notice that there is no refined sugar in these bars.

APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL BARS (gluten free)

2-1/2 cups certified gluten-free old fashioned oats, divided
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk, any kind
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons no-sugar-added applesauce
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (not pancake syrup)
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (I used regular vegetable oil rather than buy coconut oil)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees then spray an 8x8" baking pan with
nonstick spray and set aside.
2. Add 1 cup oats to a food processor or blender then process until
oats have turned into flour (alternatively you could use a scant cup
oat flour.) Add flour to a large bowl with remaining 1-1/2 cups old
fashioned oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt then stir with a
fork to combine and set aside.
3. In another bowl, add milk, applesauce, maple syrup, coconut oil,
egg, and vanilla then whisk to combine. Pour into dry ingredients
then stir until just combined. Fold in grated apples then pour batter
into prepared baking pan.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and
the center has set. Cool before slicing into bars then store in the
refrigerator, or individually wrap bars in saran wrap and freeze.

This is a keeper for me and I will certainly make them again. In fact, I think I better make some today.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.