Welcome!


Welcome! I am glad you are here. Join me with a cup of your favorite beverage and see what is going on in my life and what is on my mind. I would love to have you join my site and you can do that on the left side where it says 'followers'. And please leave a comment! Thanks for visiting.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Don't laugh!

Here is what I was busy with today. Don't laugh!




These are the hamburger buns I made today. No, it isn't the angle that I took the picture, nor an optical illusion. They really are different sizes! I have never been good at judging size when I cut things - bars are always various sizes in the same pan too. (Now be honest. Did you laugh?)


There is also one missing that I ate right out of the oven. I did something a little different this time, by adding 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning to the mix, which the original recipe calls for, but I have never put it in before. I can't say it made them any better but maybe I will notice it more when I make a sandwich later. I also make the flour half white bread flour and half whole wheat and find them very good. The very first time I made these I did a little better on getting the size more even, but today I just didn't take enough time as I had too many other things to get done. While these buns were rising I put the ingredients for French bread in the bread machine and let that work until the buns were baked. The dough cycle in my machine takes 1 1/2 hours. As you can see below, I didn't quite get these equal size either.


I also couldn't find any corn meal in the pantry to put on the baking sheet before baking, but that won't hurt anything. All I could find there was cornbread mix. Oh well, there is always next time.

I must tell you that it has been a very long time since I actually baked bread of any kind in the oven. I have always used the bread machine, but mine makes such a thick crust that I don't like. And as far as I can remember I had never made hamburger buns even when I made the dough myself years ago, before there were bread machines. So one is never too old to learn!

I wish I could fan a little of the lovely smell of fresh baked bread your way, and to share a warm slice or two with you along with a cup of coffee or tea.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not laughing. I am saying yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorita: They look wonderful and I bet they taste great! Who cares if they're the same size!!! Enjoy! Susan

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.