Welcome!


Welcome! I am glad you are here. Join me with a cup of your favorite beverage and see what is going on in my life and what is on my mind. I would love to have you join my site and you can do that on the left side where it says 'followers'. And please leave a comment! Thanks for visiting.

Monday, May 5, 2014

1921 FASHIONS

Earlier in the blog I talked about my mom in the 1920'sand talked a bit about the flapper era. I mentioned the clothing styles they wore. In one of my internet groups we discussed how women rarely wore slacks of any kind when I was younger. They wore dresses even at home and to work around the house.

Yesterday I was going through the online newspaper archives of my home town, looking for items about my ancestors and extended family, and I read some very interesting stories about other people. Plus I saw these clothing ads in the 1921 papers. I thought you might enjoy them as much as I did.

This first one is showing a HOUSEDRESS. There is a good description below the picture that you will want to read. "They come back from their tubbings fresh and crisp." I never thought about my laundry as 'tubbings'. I wonder what colors this dress came in. I love gingham, and assume the plain yoke, sleeve edges and belt were blue chambray. I think it is rather cute myself. I think I want mine in pink gingham w/light blue chambray.




The second ad shows several styles of 1921 coats. Nice price as well, but I think it might have been a little costly in those days. Price is always relevant to the times. Check out those hats too! I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures. They are old photos taken of the old newspapers and then digitized so many of them did not turn out well.


I love the name of that store, too. See? They even changed spelling way back then. I know some people gripe today because signs do not spell words "properly", such as drive-thru instead of drive through. There was a pool hall in this same town called The PlaMor. They wanted you to come in and 'play more'. "Kash Savin Stor", might be a good name for one of the discount stores today, don't you think?
(spell checker is having a hard time with those 'misspelled' words.)

1 comment:

  1. LOL We are so much alike! I have vintage magazines with fashion illustrations from the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's and I am fascinated by them. I sit and stare at an illustration or photo for long periods of time, contemplating cut, pattern, style, skirt length, buttons, accessories, etc. I guess I just love history enough to be super curious about the clothes worn as well as the furnishings and the facts of their lives! Of course, were they not all vintage and historical I'd be considered just plain nosey to pay so much attention to stuff...which is why I people watch, too, lol!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.